To have the pleasure of visiting a European country is like a dream come true for many. Whether you have a work trip there or you’re on a vacation with your family or friends, it is essential to buy international travel insurance first. This will ensure that you are safe from any unforeseen events that might occur during your trip. For your guide, given below are a few things to consider about travel insurance
when you are visiting a Schengen country.
What are the Requirements for Schengen Travel Insurance?
What Coverage is provided under a Schengen Travel Insurance?
- If you’re planning to visit any of the Schengen countries such as Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, etc. you will need Schengen travel insurance. This document will be required when you are applying for a visa.
- In order to obtain your Schengen visa, you will need to approach the embassy or consulate of the country that you wish to visit.
- Travel insurance for Schengen visa can be bought from any general insurance company having an office in the Schengen country that you’re traveling to.
- Lastly, you must be entirely covered for the trip.
As per the terms and conditions of the policy, you may receive coverage for the situations given below, under Schengen travel insurance
- Any kind of interruptions during the trip
Your trip could get interrupted due to any reason, such as bad weather conditions or unanticipated unrest. The cost of these interruptions will be borne by the insurance provider.
- Missing connecting flights
If you need to go through a connecting flight to reach your destination, but happen to miss it due to some reason that was not in your control, like flight delay; your insurance provider will make sure you get another flight so you reach your destination.
- Evacuating situation
If there is an emergency such as an outbreak of a disease or an attack, you will have to leave the country immediately. The cost of this evacuation will be looked after by your insurer.
- Case of partial or permanent Disability
Accidents may lead to partial or even permanent disability. In this case, your travel insurance company promises to bear the cost of the treatment and pay you a compensation amount, based on the terms and conditions present in the policy.
- Hospitalization expenses
If you fall ill during your trip to a Schengen country, the travel insurance company will bear the cost of the treatment, as per the policy terms.
- Loss of luggage
There is a possibility of your luggage to get stolen while you’re on your trip. Since all your essentials will also be lost with your bag, you will have to purchase them, and the expenses for the same will be reimbursed by your travel insurance provider.
- Repatriating the remains
In case of sudden death of a person during your trip, the remains must be transported to his/her homeland. The insurance company bears the cost of doing so, as per the policy terms.
- Injury or death caused due to accident
If an accident takes place and you get injured by any chance, or worse case, if the incident leads to death, either you or your family will receive compensation, based on terms and conditions mentioned in the policy.
- Delays in travel due to bad weather condition
Bad weather conditions may lead to delay in your trips. However, your travel insurance company has got your back, as they will help you with the bookings in a situation like this.
It becomes mandatory to buy a travel insurance for Europe
, especially when you’re visiting a Schengen country. Make sure you know what all is covered under your travel plan, this will help you while you’re on your trip. Lastly, make it a point to go through the policy document carefully before purchasing.