People in India celebrate myriad festivals all year round, according to their religious beliefs. But, ICC world cup is one such festival which is celebrated once in every four years, purely based on the sentiment of the people of India for cricket.
This year, ICC cricket world cup is being held in England and Wales. We’re sure that all you cricket enthusiasts out there would want to know some interesting and unknown facts about your favorite sport and other things related to it. Here we bring for you some interesting facts about 2019 ICC world cup venues.
- Lord's, London – This ground is referred as Mecca and Medina of cricket. The ground is named after its founder, Thomas Lord, an English professional cricketer. It was opened in the year 1814. In the year 1983, this is the ground, which witnessed the first ICC world cup victory of the Indian cricket team.
- Kennington Oval, London – Also known as the Oval, the AMP Oval, the Foster's Oval, the Brit Oval, this cricket ground was opened in the year 1845. An interesting fact about this cricket venue is that India has played 15 matches here. However, the record of Indian team here is not very good. They have won just 5 matches here; lost 9 and 1 game had no result.
- Trent Bridge, Nottingham – The Trent bridge ground was opened in the year 1841. An interesting fact that many of you might not know about this ground is that in the past (1860-1910), this ground was shared between Nottinghamshire county cricket club and Notts county football club.
- County Ground, Bristol – This ground is also known as Phoenix County Ground. It was opened in the year 1889. Although the sitting capacity of this ground is less (around 7000), but, this ground has long boundaries in comparison to most of the county cricket clubs.
- The Rose Bowl, Southampton – This cricket ground is famously known as Hampshire bowl. It was opened in the year 2001. An interesting fact about this ICC world cup venue is that this ground is built into the side of the gently sloping hill, resulting in an amphitheatre bowl and architect Sir Michael Hopkins designed it.
- The Cooper Associates County Ground, Taunton -- This ground was originally built as part of a sports centre by Taunton Athletic Club in 1881, and thus is also known as Athletic Ground. Indian cricket players, Rahul Dravid (145) and Saurav Ganguly (183) hold an international record of ODI centuries hit on this ground in the same match played against Sri Lanka on May 26, 1999.
- Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester – With 19000 capacity, this cricket ground was opened in the year 1857. In 2019 ICC world cup, India will be playing two matches here. The first match will be played against Pakistan on June 16 and the second match will be played against West Indies on June 27.
- Edgbaston, Birmingham – This cricket stadium opened in the year 1882, is England’s one of the leading cricket ground. From India’s perspective, the performance of Indian cricket team on this ground has been very successful. The ‘men in blue’ have won 7 out of the 10 matches played here. An interesting fact about this ground is that it holds the record for the greatest attendance (32000) for a test match on a single day in the year 1957.
- Headingley, Leeds – Opened in the year 1890, this cricket ground has a huge capacity of 17000. An interesting fact about this cricket stadium is that it was here that team India registered its first ever ODI victory against East Africa in the year 1975.
- Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street – This ground was opened in the year 1995. This ground is famous for beautiful & scenic views and infamous for spectators getting injured after a stand in the North-East Terrace partially collapsed.
- Sophia Gardens, Cardiff – This is the only ICC world cup venue located in Wales and it is also known as Cardiff Wales Stadium. An interesting fact about this ground that many of you might not know is that this ground was named after the wife of the Marquis of Bute, John Crichton-Stuart.
We hope that you enjoyed reading about these amazing ICC world cup venues of 2019. If you wish to know such fascinating details about any of our insurance products, visit our website – Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
Also, if you are planning to visit these awesome ICC World Cup venues, be sure to purchase a travel insurance plan
so that you can enjoy the cricket matches worry-free.