We all can agree on the fact that we hate to carry the bag of our vehicle’s documents, especially when on a bike. A bike does not offer sufficient space to store the documents. It becomes burdensome to carry along a bag every time you go somewhere out. It's situations like these when we feel, wouldn’t it be great if we can digitally store the documents. Well if you too have felt so, there is good news for you.
The Transport Ministry of India has officially advised every states’ traffic police departments to accept digital formats of vehicle documents. You can get two wheeler insurance online
and along with other related documents store them in a government-approved DigiLocker, mParivahan app, or eVahan Bima.
Though it is a great initiative, people still are concerned, is soft copy of bike insurance valid? To get a more comprehensible answer, let us look at some of the deeper aspects.
Which Documents Do You Need to Carry While Driving in India?
Motor Vehicles Act of India mandates you to carry the following documents while driving any vehicle in India:
- Driving License: You must have a valid driving license for the type of vehicle you are driving at all times.
- Registration Card: It is necessary to have the RC of the vehicle that you are driving. It signifies the legality of the vehicle being driven.
- Vehicle Insurance: The Government of India has made it mandatory for you to have a valid insurance cover of the vehicle, failing which, a heavy bike insurance fine can be imposed.
- PUC Certificate: Lastly, having pollution under control certificate is compulsory which indicates that your vehicle is running as per the standards set by authorities.
How to Store My Bike’s Documents Digitally?
Worried about how to get soft copy of bike insurance and other documents digitally stored? The foremost thing is to download the DigiLocker, mParivahan, or eVahan Bima application offered by the government from the play store. Once done, follow the given steps:
- Sign up from your mobile number and validate using the Aadhar Number.
- On the dashboard, select the option that states ‘Upload’.
- Choose the RC, PUC, DL, and bike insurance soft copy files and upload them in the application.
- Select the file type of the uploaded document from the given list.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button and you are good to go.
Benefits of Storing Bike Documents Online
Mentioned below are a few benefits you can avail of by storing your bike documents online:
- You do not have to worry about carrying documents in physical format.
- Traffic police can authenticate your documents digitally.
- No risk of misplacement or loss of the documents.
- Easy access to your documents, anytime and anywhere.
Will I Be Challaned if I Have Soft Copy But Don’t Have Physical Copy of My Bike’s Documents?
The straightforward answer to this question is NO. You can present the documents of your bike that are verified and stored in DigiLocker, mParivahan, or eVahan Bima app. All these apps are provided by the Govt. of India and hold your vehicle documents directly issued by the respective authorities in an electronic format.
So whenever the traffic police stop you in any part of the country, you have the right to present your RC, PUC, License, and bike insurance soft copy in these govt-approved digital apps.
How to Get Soft Copy of Bike Insurance?
In case you have bought the two wheeler insurance online, then it is extremely simple to get a soft copy of your bike insurance. You can follow the given steps to download it on any digital device.
- Visit the website of your insurance provider.
- Select the option that says the ‘type of policy’.
- Enter the policy number or any other detail asked.
- Verify your profile through an OTP.
- Once the system authenticates you, you can view, download or print your bike insurance policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will the soft copy of my bike’s documents be accepted if they aren’t stored in DigiLocker or mParivahan app?
Unfortunately, no. The documents are only considered valid if they are stored in government-approved digital applications.
- Is it safe to buy my bike insurance online?
Yes, buying an online insurance policy for your bike is completely safe. Just ensure that you are buying it from an authentic source such as Bajaj Insurance, Policy Bazaar, etc.
- Can I only get third-party insurance for my bike?
Though we recommend buying comprehensive insurance for your bike to get full benefits. If not, third party insurance for bike
is enough to keep you stay in the perimeters of traffic laws.
Let us break down to our fundamental question, is soft copy of bike insurance valid? The answer to this question is Yes. The soft copy of your bike’s documents is hundred percent valid, provided they are digitally stored in the applications authorised by the government. So next time, you are out on your bike, feel free to keep your bike documents at home and enjoy an unfazed ride.