Summer means scorching heat, sweat and so much more. The heatwave takes a toll not only on humans but on animals too. If you are a pet parent or generally care for them, save them from the heat this season.
Summer could also mean a lot of fun playing with your pet outdoors. Yet, we cannot deny the fact that when the temperature rises, certain precautions need to be followed to protect your pet. In this article, we have discussed some important summer pet care tips for 2022.
08 Tips for Pet Care During Summer Season
Here is a rundown of essential tips that will help you take care of your pet this summer season:
*Standard T&C apply
- Watch Out for the Symptoms: In case of a heatwave, the pet may undergo unusual panting, drooling, or increased heart rate. So, if you keep your pet outside ensure that are they resting in shade. We recommend moving them inside your home and letting them also relax in a comfortable and cool spot. Not to forget, ensure to keep the pets and stray animals hydrated.
- Feed the Right Food: In summers, feed your pet with fruits and vegetables that have a high level of water. Consuming it helps the pet to remain hydrated and also gives balanced nutrition. You may also feed your pet with buttermilk or curd*. These are some amazing summer food options for the pet. Ensure that you do not give your pet any ice cream, chocolates, or any product that has sugar or salt in it. These products are a BIG NO, hence avoid it feeding these to your pet. Intake of water should be more during the heating season. Avoid serving hot foods to the pet, serve the food at room temperature only. Change the water in their bowl every day.
- Maintain Personal Hygiene of Pet: Who all does not love grooming? We all do, just like you, your pet also needs to love, care and groom. It may include something as basic as brushing, washing their fur, trimming nails, and grinding. You may also give a massage to your pet once in a while. It will help them to relax. In summer ensure to take them for a haircut. Do not go for a complete shave down as then you may interfere in their built-in temperature regulation. Regardless of the season, grooming helps your pet to stay comfortable.
- Get Rid of Parasites: It’s prudent to protect your pet from lice, fleas, and ticks. Remember, that ticks are most active from March to the mid of May and then from August to November. The ticks are active when the temperature is above the freezing point. As a pet parent, you should have an anti-tick spray at your home. It helps to kill the ticks and your pet need not undergo the scratching nightmare.
- Keep a Check on the Weight of the Pet: During winters, there are chances the pet may up some weight. Summer is the right time for them to exercise and remain in the best of their shape and keep healthy. While taking your pets for a walk avoid direct sunlight or scorching day hours. Take your pet for a walk or to play outdoors when the air is cooler which is soothing for you and the pet too. The walks need to be restricted to early mornings and post sunsets at least in summers.
- Keep Those Paws Cool: In summer, surfaces like metal or asphalt may get hot. The concrete slabs which are generally used to make pavement are directly exposed to the sunlight. The concrete absorbs the heat and releases it slowly. As the concrete traps, the heat of the slab gets hot which may result in burning your pets’ paw. Hence, keep off your pet from hot asphalt. It could also lead to increasing their body temperature. It is better to keep the paws dry and clean. Keep a check on the paws for cuts, bruises, and discoloration. Apply paw cream at regular intervals.
- Do Not Leave a Pet in Car: Always refrain from leaving your pet in a closed car. It may lead to suffocation or sometimes a heatstroke as well. The temperature usually inside the car reaches up to 40 degrees Celsius and can go up to 120 when left under direct sunlight. In case you are driving with the pet around ensure to carry a bottle of water and something for them to eat. Never leave your pet alone in the car.
- Visiting a Vet is a Must: It’s a good practice to visit the vet once every three months. In case your pet shows any sign of panting, drooling, or dehydration visit a vet without any delay. In case your pet is not keeping well, call the vet and explain the symptoms. If you have pet dog insurance in place do not worry about the incurred expenses.
Summer is not just tough for humans but animals as well. The only difference remains that we can speak and vent out easily whereas they cannot.
Shower love and care to every animal and not just your pet. Follow these summer care tips and everything will be fine. Your pet depends entirely on you, so ensure their complete protection with a pet dog insurance policy.
Happy Summer for Your Pet!
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.