Water is a natural resource, which supports almost all the known forms of life. With the innumerable uses of water, its importance is undeniable. Though water is available in abundance on earth, but only a part of it is potable and safe for consumption. Having access to safe water is very essential, but the truth is that not all of us have this privilege.
The theme for World Water Day 2019, observed on March 22, is ‘Leaving no one behind’. The aim behind adopting this theme is to ensure availability of safe water to everyone including marginalized groups, thus, leaving no one behind.
Here’s what you can do to support this initiative:
- You should periodically check all the taps, faucets and pipes in your house for leaks and repair them as soon as possible to avoid the wastage of water.
- Avoid using running water to clean your dishes and clothes. This can save a lot of water every day.
- Prepare a timetable to water your plants and stick to it to avoid the over-use of water.
- Install water-friendly equipment in your house such as dual flush toilets, water efficient dishwashers, and low-flow showerhead with shut-off button to reduce water wastage.
- Use your automatic dishwasher and washing machine only on full loads. Using these equipments for less load leads to huge amount of water wastage.
While most of you have the privilege of using safe water for your daily chores, many people still use unsafe water and suffer due to poor sanitation. Also, there are many people who face water scarcity. Thus, on this World Water Day, we urge you to do your part and help avoid water wastage around you.
We also recommend that if you plan to remodel your house to install some innovative equipment to save water, get in touch with your home insurance provider, who can suggest if you need to update your home insurance policy
to accommodate these modifications. This will ensure that in case of a mishap, you can still recover financially and continue to contribute towards the important cause of conservation.