Claim Assistance
Get In Touch
Travel insurance Policy
Jun 7, 2021

Insurance becomes mandatory for ECR passport holders from August1

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has made it mandatory for all ECR category passport holders to obtain an insurance cover for at least 2-3 years while looking out for work opportunities in 18 countries that have been notified by India. This rule, which will be put in place by 1st August 2017, has been put forward under the Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana 2017. The MEA notification states that every Indian applying for clearance from the concerned Protector of Emigrants (PoE) is required to obtain an insurance policy for a minimum of 2-3 years that covers them for a sum of INR 10 lakhs in the event of accidental death or permanent disability leading to loss of employment while working abroad. Not only will the policy be valid irrespective of change of employer or the insured worker's location during the policy period, it'll also remain valid during the person's visit to India or any other country. It is estimated that over 6 lakh job seekers with ECR passports travel abroad for employment. The move to make insurance mandatory has been welcomed as a game-changer touted to benefit the blue-collared workers who do not opt for insurance and risk financial instability in case of a mishap during their work term abroad. Although often overlooked, insurance can definitely act as a financial shield in case of mishaps – be it your health, your assets or even during your travels. Do visit www.bajajallianz.com to buy travel insurance policy to protect yourself, your family and your assets from financial setbacks.

Was this article helpful? Rate it

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 18

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Like this article? Share it with your friends!

Share Your Thoughts. Leave a Comment Below!

  • PAWAN KUMAR VERMA - June 18, 2019 at 9:34 am

    good information

  • Attuansari ansari - January 10, 2019 at 3:18 pm

    Like this

  • Guddu kumar - January 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm

    good info

  • […] adults (above 18 years of age and below 65 years) will have to declare if they belong to Non-ECR (Emigration Check Required) category, for which a few more documents will have to be submitted by you. You can get the […]

  • Vishu - July 21, 2018 at 4:00 pm


  • Keshv - June 4, 2018 at 12:12 pm


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required