The pandemic, coronavirus, has taken away many lives globally and has affected a large number of people all over the globe. Many nations have announced a complete lockdown for a couple of weeks, which should curtail the spread of coronavirus disease
. At an individual level, you can take the following measures to prevent contracting and spreading this disease:
- Follow government’s orders and stay indoors for as long as possible.
- Wash your hands with soap (alcohol-based) and water regularly.
- Do not touch your mouth, eyes, nose, and ears with your unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands every time you cough/sneeze.
- Visit your doctor if you feel tired, feverish or have cold and cough.
- Try not to step out of your home, but, if you have to please wear a mask and maintain a distance of at least 1 meter from people.
When should I wear a mask?
You should wear a mask if:
- You are coughing or sneezing.
- You are taking care of a person, who is suspected to be infected with coronavirus.
You can also wear a mask as a precaution when stepping out of your house. Also, keep in mind that just wearing a mask won’t help you to be safe, frequent washing of hands with soap is very important to stay away from this disease.
Which mask should I wear?
There are a variety of masks available in the market. But, which ones are effective for screening coronavirus? We’ll try and help you out.
There are two types of masks – surgical and respirators.
Surgical masks or medical masks are not effective in shielding from coronavirus. They are designed to keep the droplets (produced due to sneezing or coughing) inside. Thus, they help the wearer from preventing to make others sick. But, they cannot protect a person from getting infected. If you are healthy and wear a surgical mask around infected people, it is highly likely that you will be at the risk of contracting the disease.
N95 respirators should be worn by caregivers, so that they can protect themselves while taking care of the infected people.
How to use the mask correctly?
You should use your mask only after cleaning your hands with alcohol based soap or hand rub and water. You should use a mask which does not have any holes. Put the buckles on the side of the mask behind your ears to secure the mask in its correct position. Pinch the metal strip present on the mask so that it fits on your nose correctly. Now, adjust the mask such that it covers your nose, mouth and chin completely.
Follow these guidelines when you use a mask:
- Do not touch your mask while using it. Use only the buckles of your mask to fasten and unfasten it.
- If you need to touch your mask for any reason, make sure to clean your hands with soap and water before doing so.
- If you touch your mask accidentally, wash your hands with water and soap.
- To remove the mask, use the buckles only. Do not touch it from the front.
- You should change your mask as soon as it gets wet.
- You should discard your used mask in the dustbin carefully.
Have a look at this infographic to better understand the use of masks to protect yourself from getting infected with COVID-19.
Do not panic buy masks and sanitizers from the market. You can protect yourself and your family by staying indoors and keeping your hands always clean.
Another great way to protect your family from heavy medical bills is to have an adequate health insurance policy. A health insurance
plan can safeguard you financially in case of an unplanned medical emergency.
We urge you to follow all the guidelines issued to prevent contracting COVID-19 or coronavirus disease and stay safe and healthy.