Purchasing an insurance policy is the best way to save your out of pocket expenses in the event of unpredictable situations such as having a medical emergency, loss/damage of your baggage/passport while travelling, damage to your vehicle in accident, damage to your house and/or content due to unfortunate incidents, getting exposed to potential cyber threats etc.
There are various products available in the market to safeguard you against all these insecure situations. But the features, benefits and coverages offered by the different kind of insurance plans are different. Thus, you should choose the insurance plan which caters to your requirements.
People often get confused when thinking about purchasing an insurance policy for their health-related expenses when they are travelling. Quite a few of them believe that their existing health insurance policy can take care of the expenses of their medical treatment when they are travelling overseas.
It is important to understand that the coverages offered by travel insurance and health insurance policies so that you can make an informed decision before commencing on your trip.
Health insurance is an insurance product that can take care of your finances in case of a medical emergency. It offers the following coverages:
- Covers pre & post hospitalization expenses
- Gives access to 6000 + network hospitals all over India
- Covers expenses of all day-care treatments
- Covers ambulance charges
- Provides cover for bariatric surgery, ayurvedic and homeopathic hospitalization, organ donor expenses etc.
Most of the health insurance policies provide these coverages only in India, however, our Global Personal Guard policy can cover you when you are travelling abroad.
Travel insurance is an insurance product that takes care of the unexpected expenses which might come your way when you are travelling. It offers the following coverages:
- Covers you for loss/delay of checked baggage
- Covers you for loss of passport
- Covers flight delays/cancellation
- Covers medical evacuation
- Covers personal liability
- Provide emergency cash advance
- Provides cashless health insurance facility for medical expenses
Thus, it is better to opt for an appropriate travel health insurance plan that can take care of the expenses of your health-related emergencies along with the unpleasant situations like loss/damage of passport & baggage.
You should take care of the following points while choosing a travelling medical insurance plan:
- You should check whether the policy you are purchasing provides coverage for medical emergencies in the country where you are travelling.
- You should make sure that the medical coverage included in the policy is comprehensive.
- You should get it confirmed from your insurer that the policy, which you choose to buy covers evacuation and repatriation.
- Opt for a travel health insurance policy that provides coverage to all the members who are travelling with you.
- You should make sure to check that the policy covers you for your entire duration of the trip.
- Be vigilant and check the SI (Sum Insured), exclusions and coverage for pre-existing conditions.
We at Bajaj Allianz General Insurance offer the Travel Prime Policy, which is a collection of 8 different insurance plans. These plans cover people of different age groups, travelling to different locations for the health-related expenses along with other emergency situations. The plans are specially designed for families, students and senior citizens, who are planning to travel abroad. Please note that a newborn baby health insurance cover may not provide you with relief during your travels with a just born infant. It is important to understand exclusions of your policy as well.
We recommend that you choose the travel health insurance plan wisely and ensure the safety of yourself as well as your family when you are travelling to an unfamiliar country.
Leave a Reply