With technological advances, many surgeries (complex and simple) can now be successfully completed in one day and the patients can be discharged from hospital within 24 hours. Such medical procedures, which do not require you to stay in the hospital for more than 24 hours are day care procedures.
The following procedures usually fall in the category of day care procedures:
- Piles / Fistula
- Liver aspiration
To facilitate our customers with the best in class services, we at Bajaj Allianz offer coverage for most of the day care procedures with our various health insurance plans.
One widespread myth about day care procedures is that they are not covered under your health insurance plans . Most of you believe that your health insurance policy covers only longer hospitalization, but this is not the case every time. With improvements in medical procedures, the treatment time has decreased significantly. And so, health insurance policies have also adapted to include these short-term hospitalization procedures.
Benefits of inclusion of day care procedures in health insurance policies
Following are the advantages of day care procedures being included in health insurance:
- Peace of Mind: Getting admitted in a hospital even for a day causes stress. And the heavy cost of treatment can definitely add to this. But, knowing that your day care expenses will be taken care by your insurance company can relieve you from this stress and give you the required peace of mind.
- Cashless Service: If you know in advance about a surgery (day care procedure) that you or your family member will be undergoing, then you can check with your health insurance company and avail the benefit of cashless health insurance claim settlement for the listed day care procedures in your health insurance policy.
- Tax Saving Benefit: In India, you get the benefit of tax exemption under section 80 D of the Income Tax Act for paying a premium towards your health insurance policy. So, a policy which covers you and your family for day care procedures can give you an added tax saving benefit.
- Best Medical Care: You can get the treatment for day care procedures in the network hospitals, where you get the best medical care with an added advantage of cashless service. Treatment in a network hospital can ensure that you and your family members get quality treatment, even if the hospitalization is for a short period of time.
- Health CDC Benefit: Health CDC (Click by Direct Claim) is a unique feature provided by Bajaj Allianz in our Insurance Wallet app, which allows you to raise and settle claim up to INR 20,000 quickly and conveniently.
Exclusions of day care procedures
OPD (Out-Patient Department) treatments such as dental clean-up are not covered under day care procedures and your health insurance company will not reimburse you for the same. Most plans cover day care procedures but not OPD hence it is important to browse through exclusions in health insurance policies to ensure that you do not file claims for treatments that are not covered.
We recommend that you read the policy wordings carefully and understand which day care procedures are covered in your health insurance policy. Please discuss with your insurer about the inclusions and exclusions regarding the same so that you do not face any trouble while filing a claim for day care procedures against your health insurance policy.