A dog lover summarizes his unparalleled affection for dogs. And frankly, dogs are amazing! They unconditionally love you, play with you, protect you, and when they are bored, they irritate you to death.
Therefore, it is important to know when your pet dog is bored and imperative to know how to combat it. If you ignore your pet dog’s boredom, it will figure out its way, which you may not like. But before anything else, let’s discuss how to read the signs of a pet dog’s boredom.
Signs of Pet Dog Boredom
- Unnecessary Barking
When we are bored, we turn on the TV, listen to music or watch random videos on YouTube. Pet dogs, on the other hand, don’t have access to such amenities. Therefore, they do what they do best – bark! Pet dog parents know very well how that constant ‘woof-woof’ can lead people to insanity; especially the neighbours.
- Chews Everything: From Shoes to Curtains
For Pet dog parents, coming home to the devastating sight of torn-apart shoes is not rare at all. And most likely, there will be an innocent pet dog standing right beside the shoe’s bits, as if it witnessed the crime but had no role in it.
The crime doesn’t only victimise shoes, but curtains, pillow covers and sofa edges also bear marks of brutality. This happens because, in your absence, your pet dog was bored, and chewing stuff was his mode of entertainment.
- Attention! Attention! And More Attention!
You may have noticed that sometimes your pet dog always tailgates you. It goes everywhere you go; barks when you are not paying attention, even though it demands it. This is another sign that your pet dog is bored and has nothing better to do other than seek its owner’s attention. However, not all pet dogs have the same temperament. Some of them are just natural attention seekers and not bored.
Hacks to Relieve Your Dog’s Boredom
Now that you can read the signs and know when your pet dog is bored, here are a few hacks that can help you relieve their boredom:
- Take Your Dog Out for A Walk
There is no better way to combat a pet dog’s boredom than taking it out for a walk. Dogs are naturally energetic animals. They cannot idly sit in one place throughout the day like us humans. As a pet dog parent, you must pay attention to your dog’s daily activities and ensure that your canine friend is well worked out. Otherwise, it may end up involving disruptive activities like chewing your shoes, curtains, and other things. If you don’t have time to take your dog out, you can hire a pet dog walker.
- Try Enrichment Feeding
This is a common practice among dog owners, and it helps curb your dog’s boredom to quite an extent. If you are hearing the term for the first time, you may wonder, what is enrichment feeding. This is an unconventional way of feeding your pet dog. Some ways are:
Food Inside Toys
Unlike putting food in a bowl, you can put them inside toys. These toys are specially manufactured for feeding pet dogs and have a maze-like structure inside them. It becomes challenging for pet dogs to get the food out, and the process is more playfully engaging for the animal. You can use a kong or similar toys for enrichment feeding. Once you get the idea of how these toys work, you can be creative and make devices at home.
Scatter the Food
Instead of feeding your pet dog in a bowl, you can scatter the food across an area. The pet dog doesn’t get easy access to the treat and has to put some effort into finding it. This way, the feeding process becomes lengthy and engaging for your pet dog.
Play Games and Treat the Pet Doggo
You can play various games with your pet dog to keep it busy. Some of these games will not only help the doggy to get rid of boredom but also stay fit. And what can be better than a fit and happy pet dog?
- One of the popular games is the Three Cup Game. Here, you can take three cups, place a treat under one of the cups and shuffle them around. The dog needs to find out which cup hides the treat. This game keeps pet dogs mentally active.
- You can also play tug of war. People often say that this game makes your dog aggressive, and when you let your pet dog win, it becomes more dominant. However, that’s not true. They enjoy this game to a great extent because it is very engaging. And don’t forget to treat your dog for active participation.
- You can also teach a new skill to your pet. For example, you can teach it how to put toys in a basket. This way you can shoot two birds in one shot – keep your dog busy and also make your pet dog organise its mess.
- Let’s not forget the classic throw-and-fetch game. They love to play the fetch game. If you have access to an open field, you can play throw and fetch with your pet dog. All you need is a ball and an enthusiastic fur ball to follow that ball when you through it.
- Another classic game that you can play with your pet dog is hide and seek. The internet is flooded with videos of owners playing hide and seek with their cute furry friends. You can start playing hide and seek with your pet; make a video to get your share of the internet fame.
- Play find the treats with your canine buddy. You can hide small portions of treats in different places and ask your pet dog to find them. It not only engages them but also stimulates their sniffing abilities. This game, along with the tug of war, is an excellent indoor activity for your pet, which you can try on a rainy day.
Take Your Dog Out on a Playdate
If your pet dog has a friendly temperament and enjoys the company of others, you can take it out on a playdate. If your mate has another furry friend, you can take your pet to hang out with the other one. Or, you can also visit a park with your doggo. Don't forget to leash it, initially, to avoid any unwanted confrontation with other dogs.
You Can Start the Clicker Training
A clicker is a small and simple device that makes a clicking sound when you press it. This device is readily available at pet stores, and you can use one to train your pet. When it obeys your order, you can make the clicking sound and appreciate its action. Repeating this process will condition your dog, and it will pay attention whenever you make that clicking noise.
The Bottom Line
It is crucial to keep your pet dog’s energy level in check. If your pet has too much energy left in it, it can start acting aggressively, refuse to eat, and can create a ruckus inside the house. Therefore, responsible pet dog parents must always make sure that their furry companion goes through a daily routine of working out and should have dog insurance.
*Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.