Life can be unpredictable, and tragedies can come uninvited from nowhere. Certain unforeseen events, such as your bike breaking down, finding yourself in the middle of a road accident, or even worse, a burglary, can take place anytime. What can you do to financially protect yourself as much as possible from such uninvited tragedies? The simple answer - a Non-Life insurance policy.
Let’s learn more about the types of non-life insurance policies that exist and dwell on their features and benefits as well. Read on to know more.
But first, let us look into the exact definition of a non-life insurance policy.
What Is A Non-Life Insurance Policy?
Simply put, as the name suggests, a non-life insurance policy, or a general insurance policy, is essentially any kind of insurance policy other than a life insurance policy. Such insurance covers insure you from the financial damages associated with car accidents, natural calamities that could strike your home, or any kind of theft that might take place in your humble abode. The list is long. There is an insurance policy for almost everything that could go wrong in life.
What Are The Types Of Non-Life Insurance Policies?
There are several types of non-life insurance policies. They are:
Motor insurance (Two-Wheeler/Four-Wheeler/Commercial-Vehicle Insurance)
Disaster insurance (Protects you from events such as floods, fire, and earthquakes, among others)
What are the Features of Non-Life Insurance Policies?
Some features of a general insurance
- A general insurance company typically gives you a policy that has a validity of one year. But you can always go for a policy that goes beyond the one-year mark as well.
- The general insurance company is not liable to bear the entire cost of the damage at the time of claiming. However, the general insurance cover that you have purchased will take care of a significant proportion of the cost. You will be required to pay a nominal amount, which is known as the policy’s deductible.
- You will need to pay the policy premium before the non-life insurance company issues you the policy.
- When the insurer receives your policy application form, it will evaluate your case based on the appropriate parameters. For example, for a home insurance policy, things like the age of construction, its market value, and that of the valuables insured, will be considered.
- If you do not make a claim during the coverage period, the insurer will give you what is known as a no-claim bonus. It is usually given away as a concession on the premium you pay, which increases constantly until it reaches a particular amount. The extent of the no-claim bonus is subject to the insurer’s discretion.
- When you get your policy papers, you will see a section known as ‘Sum Insured’. This is essentially the maximum liability the insurer is willing to underwrite. The available ‘Sum Insured’ amount could be specified by the insurer in some cases.
* Standard T&C Apply
What are the Benefits of Non-Life Insurance Covers?
The benefits of non-life insurance policies
are as follows:
- They can take care of most of the hospital costs in case you have an injury.
- If you lose your luggage, or travel documents, or get into an accident while travelling abroad, an appropriate travel insurance cover can assist you during such times.
- It can protect you from the financial liabilities associated with damaging someone’s vehicle or property with your car. Such insurance policies are known as third-party car insurance. You need to get such a policy as soon as you buy a new car, as it is mandatory by law. You can also go for a comprehensive car insurance cover, which will protect you as well as the third party from any mishap involving your four-wheeler.
- Just like car insurance covers, you need to purchase an insurance policy for your two-wheeler, as well.
- A home insurance policy can financially guard you against unwelcome events such as a burglary, fire, or a natural calamity to the extent of the sum insured.
- As a business owner, you can also insure your manufacturing facilities, just like you can insure your home. You can also purchase insurance policies for your employees while you are at it.
* Standard T&C Apply
A non-life insurance policy could prove to be your ultimate saviour when tragedy strikes. However, the size of the role it will play will depend upon your coverage. Hence, you must choose the non-life insurance cover that is best for you. If you are wondering which is the best general insurance company
out there, look at the non-life insurance policies that Bajaj Allianz has on offer.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.