The United States of America is one of the most sought-after countries in the world for academic and employment opportunities as well as travel. To make your travel or stay in the United States (US) safe and comfortable, it is advisable you opt for a travel insurance plan. There are some insurance plans which cater specifically to Indians travelling to the US.
To visit the US as an Indian citizen, you need a visa. It acts as one of the most important documents that allow you legal access to the country. The kind of visa you should have can differ according to the duration and purpose of your visit. Regardless, there is a process that you should follow to acquire a US visa, which we shall discuss below.
US Visa Requirements for Indians
The first thing you should know is your eligibility for a US visa. Let us explore the US visa eligibility criteria.
- The applicant should possess a valid passport that would be valid for at least 6 months.
- They should not have any criminal history or any ongoing criminal action against them.
- A spouse or dependent individual travelling with the applicant must apply for a separate visa.
- The applicant must prove themselves to be capable of taking care of themselves and their dependents financially.
- The applicant must be healthy (free of infectious diseases) and meet the healthcare requirements as stated by the authorities.
- The applicant must be from a country that has positive ties with the US.
- There must be a valid reason for the applicant to travel to the US, along with the required documents to support the reason.
Even though it is not mandatory, it is recommended to have coverage with travel insurance for USA
. It can help you be prepared for different kinds of emergencies and risks that can come up unexpectedly during your visit to or stay in the US. *
How to Apply for a US Visa?
There are broadly two types of US visas you can apply for - an immigrant visa and a non-immigrant visa. The procedure might differ slightly in each case. Let us explore both.
How to Apply for an Immigrant US Visa?
This type of visa is for those who wish to settle in the US, and can be obtained via the following procedure:
- Visit the nearest Regional Passport Office (RPO) and get a police clearance certificate. Ensure the tenure for the certificate is valid as per your requirements.
- Undergo the medical examinations as required. The results should satisfy the parameters set by the visa authorities.
- Fill out the Form DS-260. Ensure to add the accurate invoice ID and beneficiary number.
- Pay the required fees via a suitable and available payment mode.
- Submit the DS-260 form.
- Choose a slot for the visa interview according to the slot availability and your schedule.
How to Apply for a Non-Immigrant US Visa?
This type of US visa for Indians is suitable if you plan to visit and stay in the US for a specific period only. There can be various types of non-immigrant visas, such as employment visas, business visas, tourism visas, education visas, and so on.
Here is the procedure to apply for a non-immigrant visa:
- Select the type of visa you need to apply for, based on your needs.
- Fill out the DS-160 form meant for non-immigrant visa applicants.
- Pay the visa fees (may differ from visa type to visa type).
- Book an appointment with the Visa application centre and the US embassy to take the procedure ahead.
Just like there are various visa types for different purposes, there are different types of travel insurance policies as well. Some options include single-trip travel insurance, multi-trip insurance, corporate travel insurance, senior citizen travel insurance, and so on.
Choose from the different options as per your needs. For instance, if you are going to the US for higher studies, then student travel insurance
can be the ideal option for you. *
What are the Documents Required for a US Visa for Indians
Here is the list of documents needed for a US visa for Indians:
- A valid passport
- Coloured passport-sized photographs
- Birth certificate
- Police clearance certificate
- Marriage certificate (if travelling with a spouse)
- Divorce documents or spouse’s death certificate (if applicable)
Dependents must also have a valid proof of their relationship with the other applicant.
Please note that the information presented here is subject to change as per directions by the US authorities. For detailed information, you may want to reach out to a travel agent. For enhanced safety and security during your travels, a travel insurance
plan can be a non-negotiable option. A travel agent might also help you select the right kind of travel insurance plan for you.
* Standard T&C apply.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.