The roads are both crucial and dangerous places at the same time. We never know when a mishap will take place. Hence, it becomes imperative for us to have contingency plans, such as an insurance policy.
An insurance policy not only covers the damages suffered by you but also covers those that happened to your vehicle. When it comes to bike insurance
, it is extremely necessary for you to get one. Unlike a car, where there is less possibility of physical damage. A bike can expose you to having more injuries than a car.
Now, whether you are buying a third-party insurance policy or a comprehensive one, do include PA cover in your bike insurance. Some of you may be curious about knowing what is PA cover in bike insurance? Here is everything about it!!
What is PA cover in Bike insurance?
If you get in an accident on the road, it is evident that it will cause damage to you, your bike, and third parties. The damage that a third party faces because of you is covered under the third-party insurance policy, whether it is injuries to the person or damage to the vehicle. This will not cover any damage that happened to you.
On the other hand, a comprehensive policy covers all the damages, whether you or the third party faces them. Here the personal accident cover comes into the picture.
If a personal accident cover is a part of the insurance policy, the driver or the owner of the bike will get cover in scenarios like:
- Death in the accident
- Permanent Partial disablement in the accident
- Permanent Full disablement in the accident
The net cover amount fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India is 15 lakhs. The premium that a person has to pay for this is around 750 INR.
Note: A PA cover is only applicable for the owner-driver.
Here is a quick look at the amount you will get in a personal accident cover:
||Cover amount (in %)
|Permanent Total Disablement
|Loss of 2 limbs or two eyes, both one limb and one eye
|Loss of one limb or one eye
Is the premium amount fixed?
The premium amount (750 INR) is not a fixed one. It can rise if you decide to buy an independent PA cover than a bundled one. An unbundled personal accident cover for your bike can burn a hole in your pocket.
What if the pillion rider gets injured?
If you are riding with a pillion and he or she gets injured in the accident, they will not be covered in your personal accident cover. However, if you opt for an add-on in your policy to cover the pillion rider, your friend or family member sitting behind you will also be covered in the policy. You have to pay a bit higher two wheeler insurance premium
The maximum compensation you get by including this add-on in your PA cover will be around 1 lakh.
When are you not eligible for a PA cover?
The concept of what is personal accident cover in bike insurance is not just limited to this; it also includes some scenarios where you may not get the promised compensation. Here are some situations where the damage might not be covered:
- Injuries caused due to self-intention and suicide.
- Injuries caused while driving under the influence.
- Injuries caused while driving without a driving license.
- Injuries caused while performing an unlawful act like stunts.
What is personal accident cover in bike insurance for paid riders?
Many businesses need riders for commercial purposes like food delivery, bike service, etc.
As per the Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923, all the organisations that hire riders for their business are entitled to offer a personal accident cover to their riders. They have to buy a PA cover for the bike their rider will be using. This provides cover in case the rider dies or faces permanent or temporary disablement.
Is it necessary for you to buy the PA cover?
The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 makes it mandatory for bike owners to get third party insurance for bike
and a PA cover for their vehicles. Although there have been some recent amendments in the conditions:
- If you already have an accident cover for your vehicle that ensures a sum of 15 lakhs, you can get a waiver on the new PA cover.
- If you have a PA cover for your bike, you don’t have to buy a new one for your new bike.
Note: You only need one PA cover even if you have two vehicles.
Why buy a PA cover?
There are numerous benefits for buying a PA cover for yourself, such as:
- Your family will get financial support in the event of death.
- Financial support for medical expenses and loss of income in the event of permanent disablement.
How to claim?
The claim of the cover will be offered to the owner, driver or the nominee. For that, one has to file a claim. The nominee has to file the claim if the insured person dies. Here are the steps to follow:
- Inform the insurer about the incident.
- Get an FIR and some witnesses who can approve the event’s occurrence (Both of these things are necessary for the claim processing).
- Fill up the claim form along with attaching all the necessary documents and photos.
- Submit all the essential documents and wait for approval.
Note: A faster way to get the claim is by filing online.
This is all about what is PA cover in bike insurance!!
- What are the examples of accidental death?
As per the bike insurance firms, accidental death will be considered the same in death from choking, drowning, machinery, car crash, car slips, or any other scenario that cannot be controlled.
- Does a personal accident cover a heart attack situation?
Yes, if a person suffers from a heart attack while he or she met with an accident, they are entitled to the personal accident claim.