Imagine this: You own a bike, which you use for your daily commute to work. The organisation you work for has decided to transfer you to a city in another state. While you are making arrangements for accommodation for yourself and your family, you are confused about your bike. Should you take the bike with you? Or should you sell it before you shift? Whatever your decision might be, both scenarios require a no-objection certificate (NOC). Let us first understand what an NOC is, and then we will learn how to apply NOC for two-wheeler online.
What Is An NOC?
NOC, short for no-objection certificate, is a document used for legal purposes. When it comes to bikes, the NOC is issued generally issued by the regional transport office (RTO). The NOC states that the body issuing the certificate has no objection to the details that are mentioned on the certificate.
If a bank is issuing the NOC, it is to cancel the hypothecation of your bike. The cancellation of hypothecation indicates that you have repaid the amount you borrowed from the bank and the ownership of the bike can be transferred in your name.
Which Are The Instances That Require An NOC?
You might require an NOC in the following situations:
1. Moving to another state with your vehicle
Your job might require you to relocate to a new city. If your stay at the new location is going to be less than a year, there is no need to re-register your bike with the local RTO. However, if the stay shall exceed 1 year, you are required to re-register your bike with the new RTO. One of the documents required for this process is an NOC from the RTO where your bike was originally registered. The NOC is used as a declaration that there are no pending tickets or tax payments, and it can be registered with the new RTO.
2. Looking to sell the bike
After using your bike for a good amount of time, you might plan on upgrading it with a newer model. You find a buyer and the deal is finalised. However, even if you sell the bike, the new owner would not be recognised as the legal owner of the bike until the ownership has been transferred to them. One of the documents required for this is the NOC. If there is hypothecation on your bike’s registration certificate, you are required to get NOC from your bank as well. If the repayment has been done, the bank will issue the NOC and the hypothecation will be deleted from your bike’s RC.
How To Apply For NOC Online?
Generally, people visit the regional transport office (RTO) to get NOC. However, this can be time-consuming as you are required to present physical copies of documents. Instead, you can go for an online NOC for bike
. Here are the steps if you wish to apply for NOC online:
1. Visit the ‘Parivahan Sewa’, the government portal for the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
2. On their main menu, select the ‘Online Services’ option
3. Choose the ‘Vehicles Related Services’ option from the ‘Online Services’ drop-down menu
4. Enter your bike’s vehicle registration number, select the state where you are residing and then select the RTO where your bike is registered
5. Select the ‘Issue of NOC’ option and proceed
6. Provide the chassis number of your bike. You are required to enter only the last five digits\
7. Provide all the required details
8. Submit the following documents:
9. A copy of your bike’s RC
10. A copy of your bike insurance
11. Receipts for tax paid
12. A copy of your bike’s chassis number
13. A copy of your ongoing PUC certificate
14. A scanned copy of your signature
15. Your passport photo along with proof of residence
16. After the details and documents have been submitted, pay the fees required for the issuance of NOC
17. Take a printout of the application form and the payment receipt
18. Visit the RTO where your bike is registered and provide the copies of application form and payment receipt
Once your application has been processed, the NOC will be delivered to you. It is important to remember that if you have an ongoing policy, such as third party bike insurance
, you are required to transfer it as well if you are planning to sell the bike.
The NOC is an important document required if you are planning to move to another state and want to re-register your bike there or wish to sell your bike. It is important to note that bike insurance is one of the pre-requisites of NOC. If you do not have one, make sure to use the two wheeler insurance calculator
to get a quote before you buy one.
*Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.