Two-wheelers make up about 70% of the vehicle population in India. In the year 2018, almost 40% of the insurance market in the country was occupied by motor insurance, of which bike insurance
is a part. If you are one of the lakhs of owners of two-wheelers in the country, bike NOC
or NOC for two-wheelers is something you should know about.
This is one of the documents to be procured from the RTO if you are planning to shift bases, especially across states. Let’s take a closer look at what NOC for two-wheelers is, how you can apply for it, and what purpose it serves.
The abbreviation NOC stands for No Objection Certificate. It is one of the documents you would be required to get from your Regional Transport Office (RTO) for your two-wheeler when you are moving it from one state to another.
You will be required to produce a bike NOC
for your two-wheeler to the RTO of the area you shift to. This is also required when you are selling or buying a used vehicle.
The NOC acts as a legal document permitting the release of the vehicle to be released from the jurisdiction of the present RTO. It makes the vehicle available for registration in the jurisdiction of another RTO.
Alongside the NOC, you may also require other documents in order, such as your vehicle registration card or certificate and bike insurance
Documents required for two-wheeler NOC
When applying for a bike NOC
, you will require the following documents:
- Form 28 application
- Certificate of registration
- Bike insurance certificate
- Evidence that motor vehicle tax has been paid up to date
- PUC (pollution under control) certificate
Alongside these, some states may also require the following:
- Pencil print of chassis and engine
- Signature ID of owner
How to apply for NOC
Like most fundamental two-wheeler documentation, such as third party bike insurance
, the process of applying for an NOC of two-wheelers can be initiated online. Here are the steps you can follow to apply for a bike NOC
- Log on to Vahan Citizen Services (Parivahan) Website
- Select your state and respective RTO
- Click to avail of services
- When on the new page, click on the “Application for NOC”
- Enter the required information, i.e., bike registration number and chassis number (last five digits)
- Click on the option to validate your registration number/chassis number
- This will generate your application form where you can verify your details
- You will now be required to enter bike details as in your bike insurance certificate
- Enter the new RTO (the one you will be shifting to)
- Pay application fees
- Save and print your fee receipt
- Produce the fee receipt and required documents at your current RTO to obtain your bike NOC
* Standard T&C Apply
Remember that once your NOC is issued, you will be required to produce it at your new RTO within six months, or the validity of the NOC will expire.
When you own a bike, it is necessary to ensure all your documents are in order. This includes all the documents that are required by the RTO for issuing your NOC as well as all documents that you must have as a bike owner, such as third-party bike insurance
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.