Recently, wearing a helmet while riding a two-wheeler, has been made mandatory in Pune, the second largest city in the state of Maharashtra in India. The Traffic Police Department of Pune enforced this rule with an aim to lower the number of accidents and the casualties resulting due to the same. While this is very thoughtful of the police department, people are still reluctant about wearing helmets citing various (mostly silly) reasons like:
- Helmets cause discomfort
- It is difficult to carry the helmets when not riding the bikes
- Wearing a helmet messes the hair
But these reasons are negligible compared to your precious life. Helmets have been in existence since the middle ages. However, they were restricted to military use in the earlier times. With time the designs and the use of helmets evolved. The headgear now was also used for protecting players’ head while playing games and safeguarding the riders of a carriage. Today, the significance of a helmet is all the more germane as the roads are heavily flooded with speeding vehicles and the chances of being in an accident are very high. Also, the patch works and continuous development of the Indian roads increase the chances of accidents.
The importance of wearing a helmet while riding your two-wheeler:
- Helmet is effective in reducing head injuries -- Wearing a helmet helps to reduce the impact of an accident on your head. While riding your two-wheeler, it is very likely that if you are involved in an accident, then the resulting head injuries can be fatal, if you are not wearing a helmet. If you face a collision without wearing a helmet, it might cause external as well as internal brain injuries, which can cost your life. Thus, you should wear helmets to protect your life.
- Helmet protects your eyes – A full-faced helmet covers your entire face, providing you the complete protection in case you go through an accident. This type of helmet protects your eyes from dust and high beam lights when driving your two-wheeler. Also, the design of this helmet allows you to have a maximum sight range while driving.
- Helmet ensures better control of the vehicle – It is observed that wearing a helmet improves your attention while riding your bike. You tend to be more cautious and control your speed when wearing a helmet while driving your two-wheeler. This lowers the chances of an accident to a great extent.
- Helmet protects you from cold breeze – Wearing a helmet not only covers your head but also covers your ears. This layer of safety blocks the cool breeze to enter your ears and thus helps you to stay healthy & prevent you from getting sick in the cold weather. Also, wearing a helmet in summers helps you to stay cool as it lowers the temperature due to the solid inline cushioning.
- Wearing helmet saves you from fines – With the mandate of wearing a helmet in place, traffic police are on high alert to fine people riding their bikes without wearing a helmet. You should thus wear a helmet while driving and prevent from paying hefty fines & spoiling your driving record.
Tips to purchase a helmet
- Buy a helmet for the driver as well as the pillion riders to ensure the safety of all the people riding on the bike.
- Always buy a full-faced helmet as it covers your entire face and provides overall safety.
- Helmets also have an expiry date. Thus, you should get a new helmet every 3-5 years.
- Clean the glass of your helmet on regular basis to ensure a clear vision while driving your bike.
- Replace your helmet immediately after it has been damaged in a collision.
In this New Year, we urge you to pledge to wear a helmet while riding a two-wheeler. Use your social media handles to spread this message. Another safety measure that you can adopt is buying an insurance policy for bike
, which can take care of your finances in case you and/or vehicle gets damaged in any accident or due to natural calamities. Visit our website to know more.