When it comes to professional-level trekking, you must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the expedition. One of those requirements is a physical fitness certificate. The certificate, which is issued by a doctor, states that you, as an individual, are physically fit for the said activity. Just like a physical health certificate for your fitness, there is a fitness certificate for your car as well.
What is a vehicle fitness certificate? What is its significance? How is it related to four-wheeler insurance
? Here is more information for you.
What is a vehicle fitness certificate?
A vehicle fitness certificate is issued by the Regional Transport Authority (RTO). This certificate indicates the vehicle manufactured is fit and ready to be driven. When a car is manufactured, various quality checks are conducted before it can be sent to the dealer. The fitness certificate check is the legal certification for the manufacturer to show proof of the vehicle’s fitness. Generally, new cars are issued with a fitness certificate for 15 years.
Why is the certificate required?
The vehicle fitness certificate is required for the following reasons:
- As per Section 84 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, every vehicle is required to have a fitness certificate to be eligible for Indian roads.
- To keep the pollution levels under control, since older vehicles are among the highest contributors to vehicular pollution. The fitness certificate helps in segregating such vehicles and taking them off the road.
- Helps in understanding the working condition of the vehicle, with regards to the potential of facing any problems in the near future.
What is the validity of the vehicle fitness certificate?
The validity of the vehicle fitness certificate is as follows:
- For cars - 15 years.
- For two-wheelers - 15 years.
- For commercial vehicles up to 8 years old, - 2 years.
If you are found driving your vehicle without a valid vehicle fitness certificate, the fines are:
- For a first-time offence - Rs.2000 up to Rs.5000.
- For repeated offences - up to Rs.10,000 (and also attracts imprisonment).
If you delay renewing the certificate, the fine is set at Rs.50 per day as per the provision under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988.
How to apply for/renew a vehicle fitness certificate?
If you wish to apply for the certificate online, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Parivahan Sewa website, which is the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Access the Vehicles Related Section on the website by clicking the ‘Online Services’ option.
- Select the state, following which you are required to enter your car’s registration number and select the RTO.
- After this, select the ‘Apply for Fitness Certificate’ option. It is important that you read the instructions given carefully and then click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Enter your car’s chassis number and your registered mobile number to receive the one-time password.
- After submitting the OTP, you will see your car’s details. Once you verify the details, enter the details pertaining to your vehicle insurance.
- Submit these details, select the payment option, and pay the fees online.
- You will get an application number and a copy of the payment receipt.
- Go to your RTO with the application number and other necessary documents, and get your vehicle inspected. If problems are found during the inspection, the RTO will not issue the certificate until the repairs are done.
To get the certificate offline:
- You can get the forms for the certificate either from the government’s online portal or from the RTO
- Fill out the forms and attach the necessary documents before submitting them to the RTO
- After submission, pay the fees for the certificate
- Get your vehicle inspected by the RTO on the date allotted by them
You can renew your fitness certificate, both online and offline. The steps for the online procedure are similar to those when applying for a new certificate. You simply have to select the ‘Apply for Fitness Renewal’ option instead of applying for a fresh certificate. After submitting the necessary details and completing the requisite payment formalities, head to the RTO with your car for inspection and get the certificate renewed.
For the offline procedure, you can get the forms either from the government website or from the RTO. Fill out the forms, submit the documents, pay the fees, and get your car inspected by the RTO.
What is the Connection between vehicle a fitness certificate and car insurance?
Your four-wheeler insurance is one of the mandatory documents required by the RTO when it comes to issuing a new certificate for your car or for its renewal.
Recent judgments have made it clear that the insurer is liable for compensation to the policyholder even if the vehicle’s fitness certificate is missing 
. However, as a responsible car owner and policyholder, it would be prudent to renew your car’s fitness certificate from time to time to avoid any unnecessary hassles if you were to claim car insurance
With these steps, you can get a new vehicle fitness certificate or renew your existing one.
Since car insurance is one of the mandatory documents required for the certificate, it is important you have one. If you do not, use the online car insurance calculator
to get a quote and purchase your policy.
*Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.
Leave a Reply