There are multiple types of licences in India, enabling individuals to drive a variety of vehicles on Indian roads. To drive a specific type of vehicle, a person may have to secure a licence particular to that vehicle. One such driving licence is the ‘MCWG’ driving licence, which stands for ‘Motorcycle with Gear’ driving licence.
As its name suggests, this type of driving licence is applicable if you want to drive a motorcycle that has gears. Having the right type of license is legally mandatory as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Along with a driving licence, a valid bike insurance
plan covering third-party liabilities is also legally mandatory to drive your bike on the roads. *
If you own a motorcycle (bike) with gear, it is essential that you have the MCWG driving licence, amongst other mandatory compliance. Here’s a rundown on all you need to know about the MCWG driving licence.
Who Can Apply For An MCWG Driving Licence?
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- You must be 18 years old.
- You must have a learner’s licence (LL) for at least 30 days. This licence allows you to drive a motorcycle with gear under the supervision of a licenced rider.
- You must pass the relevant tests included in the licence application process.
Note that an MCWG licence is separate from the licence required for motorcycles without gears.
How to Apply For An MCWG Driving Licence?
Nowadays, one can carry out a lot of procedures online. Whether it is buying an insurance policy or carrying out a bike insurance renewal
, one can complete the process in a matter of a few clicks. Similarly, you can begin the process of applying for an MCWG licence online by following the given steps:
- Visit the official website of Parivahan and browse over to the driving licence application section. You can also ease down the process by running a search for the same.
- Select the state of your residence. Once chosen, go ahead as per the instructions mentioned to apply for the licence.
- Fill out the application form with the relevant details - personal information, residential address, educational qualifications, and the previous driving licence, if applicable.
- Upload the required documents, mainly proof of address, proof of age, proof of identity, and the learning licence as well.
- Make the payment for the charges associated with the MCWG licence.
- Choose a slot for the tests you will have to undergo for the licence. There will be two tests - theory and practical - and you must opt for a slot suitable for you within the options given.
- Finalise the slot and complete the online process.
- Ensure to visit the test centre and complete the tests. Also, remember to carry the required documents.
Offline Process To Apply For An MCWG Driving Licence
The process of applying for the MCWG driving licence is similar to the online procedure. The main difference is that you have to visit the nearest RTO (Regional Transport Office) to get the physical application form, fill it out, submit hard copies of the documents, and make the payment offline.
The rest of the procedure stays the same.
Why You Should Get An MCWG Driving Licence
Having an MCWG licence can be beneficial in many ways:
- Compliance with prevailing laws
As mentioned earlier, it is necessary to have the applicable licence to drive a vehicle of any type as per prevailing laws. If you are driving a motorcycle with gear, then it is imperative that you have the relevant licence, too. Using a licence meant for motorcycles without gear for a geared vehicle may not sit right with the law and traffic authorities.
- Road safety
The relevant road authorities mandate several measures on the part of motorists to ensure a higher level of road safety in the country. For instance, the mandatory third-party bike insurance
coverage can help people financially if an accident causes bodily injury to a third party or harm to their property. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under motor insurance policy. *
Similarly, the mandatory driving licence also encourages road safety. By undergoing the licence application process, one learns a great deal about road safety laws, traffic violations, safe driving practices, and so on. This helps in an enhanced awareness of road safety laws.
Having an MCWG driving licence can open up a lot of opportunities for you as well. It can allow you to drive your bike without worries of non-compliance. To increase your safety and that of your bike, you can opt for a comprehensive bike insurance plan which offers optional and additional coverage above third-party coverage. To get an idea of its premium, you can use a bike insurance calculator
as well. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under motor insurance policy. *
* Standard T&C apply.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.