If you’ve ever wondered if you could get your driving licence - car or bike - without having to actually visit your Regional Transport Office and proving your skills, it appears like it’s possible now. Well, not in the literal sense but the new guidelines from the Ministry Of Road Transport And Highways reveal that as someone who is looking to get a driving licence, you could skip long queues and directly get your driving licence without visiting an RTO.
The rule has been effective from July 1, 2021.
How Is This Possible?
For starters, the ministry has decided to turn credible driving institutions into accredited centers, who have the autonomous authority to grant and approve driving licences to those who clear tests.
These centers will function as high-quality learning centers, where an entire syllabus on driving will be developed and implemented. To give you a further idea, these driving courses for LMVs will be divided into two modules:
- 8 hours of theory sessions
- And close to 21 hours of practical sessions
Besides, these accredited centers will also feature simulators and a range of facilities that will make the learning experience of drivers seamless. Aspirants who complete the course successfully and clear tests at these centers can directly obtain their driving licences.
Operating Guidelines For Accredited Centers
Not all driving institutions could become accredited centers. The Ministry has also issued stringent guidelines and standards that centers need to adhere to. According to the guidelines,
- Driving institutes that train civilians on two-wheeler, three-wheeler, four-wheelers and LMVs need to have a minimum of one acre of land for training purposes.
- At the same time, if driving institutes have heavy vehicles training as part of their arsenal, they need to have a minimum of two acres of land.
- While the course duration for LMVs is around 29 hours, the course duration for heavy motor vehicles will span across 38 hours. This will also feature practical and theoretical modules.
- Driving instructors these institutions decide to work with should have a minimum qualification of higher secondary education and should have a minimum driving experience of 5 years.
- Every five years, the centers are obligated to renew their accreditation by showing proof of standards maintenance.
This is indeed a welcome move from the ministry as the number of road accidents have been significantly increasing over the years. When the validation process becomes so streamlined with the setup of dedicated centers and institutions, one can assure an increase in the skills and quality of drivers eventually. We could also be sure that the centers would impart knowledge on road ethics and etiquettes and most importantly, sensible driving.
While this move does make the road a safer place, there are tons of other instances that could always put one in a dangerous spot. That’s why one of the crucial and integral aspects of road safety is having vehicle insurance
Regardless of the vehicle you use, having a bike insurance
or a car insurance
ensures the safety and safeguarding of not just yourself but your entire family as well. This is the only way we could make our roads safer. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale
Leave a Reply