When it comes to driving a motor vehicle, it is important to have a few documents in hand — the registration certificate, the PUC certificate and lastly, the insurance policy. Be it a car or a bike, these requirements remain the same. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 has laid down this regulatory requirement, which if not followed, attracts hefty penalties. Surely you do not want to be paying fines, right?
Bike insurance is an essential document that should always be carried when riding your two-wheeler; be it a ride to your local supermarket, or a daily commute to work; it is a must-have document. If not a comprehensive policy, you should be buying at least a third-party bike insurance
cover that will safeguard you from liabilities due to a third party in the event of an accident. But it can happen that you misplace this document. What next? Will you have to get fresh insurance coverage? Will you lose all your policy benefits?
The simple answer is ‘no’. None of the above questions stands true. All you have to do is apply for a duplicate two-wheeler insurance copy. This article talks about the steps in applying for a duplicate two-wheeler insurance copy. Continue reading to know more.
How to get your duplicate two-wheeler insurance copy online or offline?
There are two ways you can apply for duplicate two-wheeler insurance, online and offline. With more and more individuals preferring to buy policies online, it has become easier to obtain duplicate two-wheeler insurance online. Here’s how you can do it:
Visit your insurance company’s website and log in to your account. Insurance companies, generally, share these details via mail but if not available, can be found by entering your policy number.
While Bajaj Allianz offers multiple insurance plans, select the bike insurance
policy for which you need a duplicate copy.
The portal shall ask for policy details which shall be verified.
On entering these details, you can view as well as download the same. Since you have bought the two-wheeler insurance online, it shall only be available for download which can be printed and saved for your reference. Some insurance companies also offer the facility of e-mail as well as physical delivery of this insurance policy.
For those of you who are not yet comfortable buying policies online, the process is slightly lengthier.
- The first step will be informing your insurance company about misplacing your original policy document. Informing this will help them initiate the process of arranging for a two-wheeler insurance copy. This intimation can be either communicated on call or via mail too.
- Next, you need to file a first information report or FIR with the appropriate jurisdiction. Filing an FIR makes it certain that it is a genuine case of misplacing the insurance document.
- Now, with the FIR in hand, you will be required to make a written application to your insurance company mentioning the details about the policy like policy number, and type of insurance policy including the details of the two-wheeler insured.
- Lastly, you will also be required to submit an indemnity bond which declares any false representation shall be your sole responsibility. It is a legal document that safeguards your insurance company.
Using this facility of issuing a duplicate policy, you can obtain a copy two-wheeler insurance copy without having to purchase an insurance cover all over again. Make sure you do not wait till the last moment to get fined by traffic officials to apply for a duplicate policy. These days, the state road transport offices have permitted vehicle owners to carry a digital copy of their vehicle documents including the two-wheeler insurance policy. Apps like mParivahan or DigiLocker facilitate this easy storage.
Why is it Important to have a Duplicate Insurance Copy?
Your two-wheeler insurance policy is an essential document that you must always have when riding your scooter or bike. Failing to present it to a traffic official when asked for attracts hefty fines. Moreover, it is a legal requirement that must be followed. Thus, to ensure legal compliance and financial coverage against third-party liabilities, as well as damages to your vehicle, it is essential to request a duplicate insurance policy in case you misplace your original document.
Furthermore, in the event you need to raise a claim with the insurer, you must have this document. Hence, it is important you raise a duplicate policy request with your insurance company.
Pointers to remember when you apply a duplicate insurance copy for your two-wheeler
- Make sure you do not delay in requesting a duplicate copy of your bike insurance policy. Since it is illegal to drive your vehicle without one, it is important that you deal with a misplaced policy document promptly.
- Ensure you keep your vehicle documents such as the two-wheeler insurance policy, its registration certificate, and the PUC certificate safely. Additionally, you can take full advantage of government-approved applications such as DigiLocker and mParvahan to store your documents electronically. This way, you need not carry physical documents at all times. Instead, you can present these documents from your smartphone.
Where can I find my car insurance policy number?
The policy number is mentioned on the policy document by every insurance company. However, if you do not have even a photocopy of your vehicle insurance policy, there are a few different ways how you can find your car insurance policy’s number.
- First, you can log on to your insurance company’s website; in this case, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company’s website. By logging in to your account, you can know your policy number. Alternatively, even signing in to your mobile application can show you your policy number.
- Second, you can reach out to your insurance agent and get the details of your misplaced policy.
- Third, you can make a call to the insurance company’s official helpline. On verification of certain details, the insurer may furnish you with information about your car insurance policy.
- Fourth, you can visit your insurance company’s branch office.
- Last, you can visit the Insurance Information Bureau’s (IIB) website. The IIB maintains a record of all motor insurance policies issued in India.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I lose my original insurance policy, can I obtain duplicate copies?
Yes, it is possible to obtain a duplicate copy of your insurance policy even if you have lost the original car insurance policy. All you must do is download a duplicate copy from your insurance company’s website or request your insurance company to issue a duplicate copy.
What documents must I carry in my car while driving?
When driving your car, you need to carry four essential documents; three pertaining to your car and one for yourself. They are:
- Your driving license.
- The registration certificate of your car.
- Your car’s insurance policy.
- The Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate for your car.
Can I file a car insurance claim during the grace period?
No, the grace period is a duration during which you can renew your car insurance policy without losing out on any renewal benefits. However, no claims are paid by the insurance company during this period. *
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.