Having a two-wheeler, be it in a city or a smaller town, can prove to be immensely useful, depending on your lifestyle and routine. But in several cases, you may observe that a bike or scooter can help you cover long distances without relying on anyone else, as well as let you cut through heavy traffic to save time.
In many ways, a bike is a prized possession for their owners. While many people may use their two-wheelers for local commutes, some others may want to traverse longer distances with their trusted companion. In some other cases, they may want to take their bike with them to another town or state when they are moving bases. Here are some of the common reasons why people may want to transport their two-wheelers without having to ride them across long distances.
Individuals who are moving to a new city or state may find it more convenient to transport their bike by train rather than riding it over a long distance. It's a more time-efficient and cost-effective option, especially when moving with household belongings.
If someone is planning a long-distance trip and prefers not to ride the bike the entire way, they might choose to transport it through trains.
Long rides can lead to wear and tear on the bike, and some owners prefer to minimize this by transporting their motorcycles via train for the majority of the journey.
There could be specific circumstances such as medical reasons, family emergencies, or other urgent situations where a person needs to move quickly, and transporting the bike by train becomes a more viable option than riding.
Bike touring enthusiasts who plan to explore different regions may choose to transport their bikes to specific starting points via train and then continue their journey from there.
Transporting Your Two-Wheeler Via Indian Railways
There are mainly two ways to get your two-wheeler transported via the Indian Railways. Here is a look at them:
If you are not travelling with your two-wheeler by train, it must be booked as a parcel. The steps to do so are as follows:
- Present a photocopy of the two-wheeler's registration certificate and a valid government ID at the Parcel office.
- Ensure proper packaging of the two-wheeler before making the booking.
- Before packing, confirm that the petrol tank in your two-wheeler is empty.
- Write the names of the originating and destination stations clearly on a piece of cardboard. Attach the cardboard securely to the two-wheeler.
- Complete the forwarding note, providing details such as originating and destination stations, postal address, vehicle make, registration number, weight, and value of the vehicle.
- The two-wheeler can be registered as luggage if you are travelling on the same train to your destination.
- Ensure your presence at least half an hour before your train's scheduled departure.
- Follow the same procedures for packing, labelling, and marking as when booking a two-wheeler as a parcel.
- Present your journey ticket when registering your two-wheeler as luggage.
- Upon payment of the specified fees, you will receive a luggage ticket, and an endorsement will be added to your journey ticket.
- The dispatch of the two-wheeler will be on the same train, subject to available accommodation.
- To claim your two-wheeler, display the original ticket along with the luggage endorsement.
- When taking delivery, surrender the luggage ticket.
You can find more details on the official website of the Indian Railways or consult your parcel office or ticket booking counter.
Whether your two-wheeler is safe in your residential premises, on the road, or in transit via any feasible means, it is always prone to risks such as natural disasters or accidents. For this reason, as well as for fulfilling the legal obligations of owning a two-wheeler, you should get third-party liability two wheeler insurance
What is this insurance? A third-party liability policy is what protects you financially against the damages that you may cause to a third party in an accident. Moreover, if you want financial protection against damages to your vehicle as well, you may opt for a comprehensive motor insurance
policy that is suitable for your two-wheeler.
When buying a two-wheeler, you may already be given the option to include a two-wheeler insurance policy along with the purchase. In that case, you only have to ensure that you Renew bike insurance
The process of bike insurance renewal, whether online or offline, is quite simple. You can either consult an insurance agent for offline renewal or log on to the website of the insurance provider for an online process. Before you renew, you may want to check an online two wheeler insurance calculator
to understand the coverage offered for the premium you may be required to pay.*
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.