During changing weather, everyone needs to guard against common immunity-related illnesses such as cold and flu. Since these are highly contagious illnesses, the best thing you can do is prevent them from taking hold in the first place. A healthy diet and plenty of exercise are the best methods of combating the common cold. Here, we list the 7 foods that are known to be highly effective at fighting the common cold.
– It’s been called nature’s penicillin and is at the top of the list for its curative powers. Hot chicken soup helps clear clogged airways
Hot and spicy food
– Chillies or spicy sauces to help ease congestion. Cook Indian or other ethnic foods that contain these ingredients, or simply add a spicy sauce to foods for extra zing.
– This fragrant bulb contains a flavouring agent called allin which acts as a decongestant. Garlic is also believed to act as an antioxidant and destroy free-radicals, the active oxygen molecules that damage cells
– To keep you liquefied.
– Reach for citrus fruits to increase your vitamin C intake. Drink orange juice for breakfast, snack on half a grapefruit, or add tangerine slices to a lunchtime salad. Getting an increased amount of vitamin C is especially important if you smoke, as smoking increases both your risk of catching a cold and your body’s need for this protective vitamin.
– Many people find fresh ginger root helps treat the coughing and fever that often accompany colds and flu. Try making a ginger tea with cloves to help treat a sore throat and cough.
Vitamin C sources
– Citrus fruits aren’t the only foods high in vitamin C. Potatoes, green peppers, strawberries and pineapple can help as your daily cold-fighting food arsenal.
Do you know of any such natural remedies against common illnesses? If so, share them with us in the comments below! While these proven foods will definitely help you fight the cold, it is important to be prepared for more serious medical emergencies by equipping yourself with a health insurance