A healthy hygiene routine is one of the many good habits that you should teach your children. As they say, Children are like moist soil, they take the shape of the mold they are put in, so teaching good habits from a young age will leave an impact for a long time.
Now, that you are at home, spending time with your children, due to the coronavirus outbreak
, you can teach your kids some personal hygiene tips, which is also the need of the hour.
What are some personal hygiene habits that you should teach your kids?
- Teach your kids to wash their hands with water and soap. Even if kids are not going out to play, they grab anything and everything that is within their reach. While you must be keeping your house clean, but it is likely that dust gets accumulated on the table tops and the show-pieces by the time you clean them the next time. Therefore, it is better to ensure that your kids wash their hands thoroughly, especially before eating, after using washroom and after tending to pets in the house (if any).
- Teach your kids to wash vegetables and fruits before eating. Fruits and vegetables generally have E.coli bacteria on their outer surface. Also, they pass through many hands before reaching your home. Thus, they should be consumed only after they have been washed carefully.
- You should teach your children to cover their mouth with a tissue or handkerchief while coughing and sneezing. This is one of the most effective ways to contain the spread of infectious diseases like coronavirus. You should also teach your kids the correct way to use and wear a mask. Although it is not mandatory to wear a mask when you are at home, but, teaching them this good habit can be useful in the future.
- Educate them about social distancing and its importance. While currently everyone is locked inside the houses, but maintaining social distancing will be a valuable lesson that they must learn when everything goes back to normal slowly and steadily.
- Some other basic hygiene routines that your kids should develop are:
- Brushing teeth twice a day
- Bathing regularly
- Washing hair regularly
- Wearing clean and tidy clothes daily
- Keeping their rooms clean
- Flushing toilets after every use
- Getting nails cut when they grow big
- Keeping nails clean
How to teach personal hygiene habits to your kids?
Your kids might not listen to you when you give them the much needed ‘keep yourself clean and healthy’ lecture. The best way to teach your kids to develop a good habit is to inculcate the habit yourself first. Children quickly imitate what elders do. So, remember to practice before you preach.
Another interesting way to teach your kids cleanliness is to teach them while playing games, by solving puzzles and doing some fun science experiments. There are various cartoons and animated programs that can help you teach kids these hygienic practices. You can organize a fun and informative puppet show to demonstrate the healthy habits and their importance.
We hope that these tips will help your kids to be healthy. While you ensure their fitness, we recommend that you also ensure their safety by investing in an adequate health insurance
plan, which can be of great help in case of an unplanned medical emergency.