In the human body, the liver is one of the most critical and largest solid organs. The liver performs various vital functions such as removing toxins from the blood, regulating blood clotting, maintaining blood sugar levels, and much more.
Interesting Facts About Human Body Liver
- It filters the blood in the body and breaks down any poisonous substances
- Produces bile which is a fluid that enables to digests of fats and likewise carries away the waste
- The liver consists of four lobes
Hence, it is paramount to pay immediate attention in case there is a complication related to the liver. There could be various leading to liver-related ailments such as:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Hectic work schedule
- Obesity, etc.
Liver cirrhosis is one of the lifestyle diseases. The healthier liver tissues are replaced with scar tissue. This prevents the liver to function properly and can be life-threatening too. The treatment of it depends upon the extent the liver has been damaged. There are cases when doctors also suggest liver transplants. There are health insurance
companies that offer a cover for liver transplants. However, this may vary from insurer to insurer.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Liver Disease
Not always liver diseases cause any signs or symptoms. If it does, it includes:
- Chronic fatigue
- Bruising easily
- Eyes/skin appear yellowish
- Itchy skin
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain/swelling
- Swelling in the ankle and legs
- Changes in the color of stool/urine
How Helpful Is Having a Health Insurance?
Healthcare expenses in India are only rising. With the pandemic, many of us understood the importance of having a comprehensive health insurance policy. Having suitable insurance coverage doesn’t leave you in financial distress. It offers a cover in case of an unforeseen event due to an illness or a mishap. There are several health insurance benefits
that help to deal with the costs of liver care:
- Pre and Post Hospitalization Expenses: Not every hospitalization requires hospitalization. There are pre-hospitalization costs that generally include diagnostic tests, consultation fees, etc. It also offers a cover for post-hospitalization costs, which includes surgeries, advanced medical tests and so forth.
- Cashless Hospitalization: There are insurance companies that offer cashless hospitalization. We have around 8000+ network hospitals spread across India. So, to avail of this cashless hospitalization benefit, the insured needs to undertake medical treatment at any of the network hospitals. The medical bills are directly settled with the network company by the insurer.
- Critical Illness Cover: Today insurers have introduced insurance plans catering to critical illness needs. Criti Care takes care of the transplant of the human liver that results from irreversible end-stage liver failure. It has to be confirmed by a medical practitioner. The end-stage liver failure is evidenced by the permanent and irreversible failure of liver function that has resulted in all three of the following:
Note: The benefits/features may vary from insurer to insurer. Please read the policy wording carefully.
How to Maintain a Healthy Liver?
The best way to maintain a healthy liver is to lead a healthy life. Here are some quick tips that will help to keep the liver functioning at its best:
- Regular Exercise: Exercising regularly and incorporating this routine into your everyday life will keep your overall health in good shape.
- Eating Habits: Avoid eating food that has excessive fats. Eating food that is fat-prone makes it difficult for the liver to function. This at times also leads to fatty liver ailments.
- Get Vaccinated: Ensure you and your loved ones are vaccinated against both Hepatitis A and B. In case anyone is diagnosed with malaria or jaundice take extra care, as it directly affects the liver.
- Moderate Lifestyle: Do not consume toxins that are not good for the liver and have long-term damage. Never consume excessive alcohol as it impacts the liver severely.
In a Nutshell
A human liver is responsible to perform an array of functions. It helps to support immunity, digestion, metabolism, and detoxification amongst various other crucial functions. We are prone to liver diseases due to unhealthy lifestyles and eating habits. The costs of treating most illnesses/sicknesses can easily create a dent in your pocket.
Ensure that you have suitable health insurance coverage that never puts you under financial stress. Eat healthy and live healthily!
*Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.