It’s that time of the year. The festival of colors- Holi is just around the corner.
A festival that represents the arrival of spring and the victory of good over evil. It's the time to embrace new beginnings, put an end to past conflicts, and a day when people forget and forgive. From the playing of colored powder to the splashing of water, Holi indeed is our country’s most joyous and vivid festival.
If you are a pet parent then in between all the celebrations, it becomes imperative to take care of your pet dog.
6 Tips to Keep Pet Dogs Safe This Holi 2023
When it comes to our pet dogs, ensure to safeguard them from the festival madness, artificial colors, sweet treats, and much more. Here’s everything you could look at doing to keep them safe:
- Spend Time With Pet Dog: During the celebration, the loud noise, and music could be disturbing for your furry friend. Ensure that you do not leave your pet all alone at home. To make them feel more comfortable you could also look at giving them some toys, or a blanket that keeps them warm and keep a timely check.
- Do Not Use Colors on Them: Be careful that your pet dog doesn’t come in direct contact with the colors. The artificial colors have chemicals and this can irritate the fur or skin of the dog. In case the colors enter the eyes/ears of the dog, it may also lead to severe infections and sometimes may cause blindness too. You should also be mindful that the dog doesn’t lick any stained surfaces as it may cause allergies such as vomiting, rashes, etc. Besides, remember dogs do have a natural behavior of licking their bodies. Do not use water balloons on the pet dog, it could easily hurt them.
- No Sweet or Fried Treat to Your Furry Friend: Festival is a time when a lot of scrumptious delicacies are prepared. While you relish the same, do not feed it to your pets. The spices, sugar content, and many other ingredients are not suitable for animals. Rather buy those treats that are healthy and meant for them to consume. Also, keep the pet dog hydrated throughout.
- Pay Attention to Their Behaviour: At the same time, it is also important to observe the behavior of your furry companion. See how they are reacting, their body movements, and eating/drinking habits, and take necessary actions accordingly. In case the pet shows symptoms of salivation, loose motions, etc. consult a veterinary right away. Have the contact details of the veterinary handy. Keep the pet indoors while the celebration is happening outdoors.
- Take Care of the Skin: You may also look at applying certain oil on the skin of the pet so that the color doesn’t stick in consultation with the veterinarian. On the day of Holi, take your pet out for a walk early in the morning. Use pet-friendly shampoos only and avoid using any chemical-based products. In case the pet dog gets smeared in any color, stay away from using any kind of spirit or kerosene oil.
- Create Awareness: It's the children who are most excited about Holi. Educate your children about the harmful effects of using artificial colors on animals. And why they should not apply colors on them for their mere enjoyment. It is a good practice to sensitize your child toward animals.
The Bottom Line
Soak yourself in the spirit of Holi, yet be careful when it comes to other living beings around. It is always better to have pet dog insurance
in place. Play an animal-friendly Holi and use natural colors.
Extend your compassion and play while maintaining a safe distance from animals. This Holi 2023, keep your pets safe and secure.
*Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.